Sunday, March 23, 2008

A birthday Celebration with the Rahman Family.

I first met Zahirah when we first arrived in Singapore. As dad took us too his office a young, friendly women waved to us through the glass door. She opened the doors and bombarded us with her out going personality. She was clearly Singaporean as she would say "la" after most of her sentences.

Zahirah has only been working for ASP ships for about a month now, but i think she will go far. She is the receptionist.

After an exchange of many text messages she took me out with her younger sister Dianna. We went to Arab street and Boogies. We had dinner near Arab street, right across the mosque, which was really quite beautiful. We then went shopping at boggies street. This would have to be the best place to go shopping. There are about three levels full of clothes, bags, shoes and watches. I definitely recommend this place when you visit Singapore. Its right across the mrt station.

Last night she invited me to a small family get together, on her mothers side. For me a small gathering would be around 5-8 people. But there were around 25 people. And this was there small. I guess i am used to having a big family when i visit the Philippines, but it isn't really that often i have the luxury of having big family gatherings in Leyte.

As i entered the room i noticed the aroma of spices and a large dining room with no table. I realized that this was there praying room. As Muslims, they prayed twice while i was there, Before and after dinner. It was very interesting. We also sat on the ground to eat, and they used their hands. I did struggle a bit and it did get a bit messy, but it was fun. I was also informed not to eat with my left hand, as that was the hand we cleaned with.

This small gathering was actually for Zahirah's cousins husbands birthday. He was a March baby, and since there were four other "march babies" we also got to help cut the cake. The birthday boy got a face covered in cake for his birthday.


It was really intimidating at the start but they where gorgeous people and made me laugh. They were so happy and made me feel at home. This is definitely an experience i will never forget.

1 comment:

sunshine said...

hey sarah you are having the best experience ever - suck it in.